Tuesday, May 11, 2010

"Why me, Lord?"

Oftentimes, I struggle with the fact that I was blessed to be born in the U.S., to loving parents who were always financially responsible and gave me everything I ever needed (and often wanted).


I'm also blessed to have graduated from a private college, find a job I love, marry a wonderful Christian man and live in comfort - never in want of anything. Although I have minor health problems, it is nothing compared to facing the risk of deadly disease or not having sufficient medical care.


Don't get me wrong, I thank God almost everyday for everything He has given me and I know everything I have is really His - He has merely entrusted me as a steward while I'm here on earth.


But, I can't help asking the question, "Why me, Lord?" Why was I chosen to be born in a free nation where I can choose how I live, where I work and what god I worship?


Why wasn't I born in Africa, where children die every day from mosquito bites carrying malaria and families are often faced with deadly religious persecution or persecution based on their economic status?


Why have I been blessed with wealth (at least relative to the majority of the world and even our nation)? Most of the time, I don't give a second thought to turning on the heat or air conditioner when the house feels a bit too warm or too cold. I thoughtlessly jump in my car and drive to Target to spend money on clothing and items to make my home more comfortable. I spend far too much money on eating at restaurants and filling my refrigerator with any type of food I want or crave.

Why wasn’t I born in the slums of India where children drink, bathe and defecate in the same water? A place where adults and children work long days in appalling conditions because they have no choice if they want to live. A place where streets are filled with the crippled, diseased and dying begging for scraps and coins to survive just one more day.

God has a plan for my life and a reason for blessing me as He has. Is it wrong for me to ask why? Maybe. But, it also seems natural to question my place and situation in life and compare it to the injustices that so many of our brothers and sisters face.

I don’t have an answer, but I know God loves all people equally as His creation and children – rich or poor, white or black, healthy or sick, American or not. To God, we are all valued. He sees our hearts, not our situation in life, and He desires that we use the blessings He's given us to bless others in return.

So, instead of dwell on the question of “Why me, Lord?” I’ll cling to this verse in the book of Luke and take a responsibility to bless others with the same generosity God has blessed me with:

eHe

“When someone has been given much, much will be required in return; and when someone has been entrusted with much, even more will be required.” (Luke 12:48)


No comments: